Research Study On Improving Health And Nutrition
Acceptance of positive health and nutrition practices has been a key component to bring a change in health and nutrition status of Children, Adolescents as well as Pregnant and Lactating Mothers. In order to increase health and nutrition status of communities and individuals, both preventive and curative measures have to focus more on preventive measures. While India has made significant strides in changing nutrition status of individuals, the focus has now shifted to addressing nutrition challenges through lifecycle approach.
Nayara Energy partnered with JSI R&T India Foundation to improve health and nutrition status of the communities around its refinery site, particularly, children under 5 years of age, adolescent girls as well as pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Provide technical assistance to the Nayara CSR team in planning, implementing, and monitoring evidence based high impact interventions.
- Improving integration with existing programs of Nayara Energy and convergence with initiatives of the government and other stakeholders.
- Document learnings and evidence (what worked well and what did not) to guide replication in other parts of the state and the country.
- Facilitate advocacy with district/state and national government to sustain tried and tested innovations.
Geographic Area and Reach
5 villages of Lalpur Taluka, Jamnagar District and 10 villages of Khambhaliya Taluka, Dev-bhoomi Dwarka District, Gujarat.
- The project reached out to 310 adolescent girls through sessions that covered the importance of Personal hygiene and Healthy lifestyle, weight monitoring of Adolescent Girls for BMI status and insights into what does Adolescence mean.
- A total of 490 mothers with children below 5 reached through specialist health checkups and sessions on recipe demonstration and weight monitoring.
- 183 women reached through session on importance of Nutritious diet with mothers and pregnant women and celebrating breastfeeding week.
- A comprehensive communication docket was developed that covered Dialogue Cards on Anemia, Growth Monitoring Cards for moderately and severely Underweight Children, Nutritious Recipe Cards, Video on Menstrual Health and Hygiene and Video on importance of breastfeeding within one hour of birth, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and age appropriate complementary feeding.